RUSS School of Community Led Housing – Module 1
January 26, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
This one-day workshop is the first module in RUSS’s education programme.
RUSS is a volunteer-led Community Land Trust based in south London, founded in 2009 with the mission of creating sustainable neighbourhoods and genuinely affordable homes. In June 2018, RUSS was granted planning permission for 33 homes at Church Grove, Ladywell, south east London. It will be London’s largest affordable self-build housing project.
Community-led housing is a way for local communities to address their housing needs by producing their own decent and affordable homes. It is increasingly seen as a viable alternative for those whose housing needs are not met by the mainstream housing market.
But how can communities and individuals access community-led housing?
How do you set up and maintain a group, find land, organise finance and negotiate with local authorities?
Module 1 will cover:
- Creating a group – finding people who share your vision
- Organising – networking and building your membership
- Land – where to find it
- Local authorities – how to work with them
- Procurement and competitive dialogue
- Finance – where is the money?
- Building a professional team
- Allocations – deciding who lives in the homes
- Ongoing networking